Sojourner's Cerebrations

just another sojourner... these feet are not my own, these hands are merely just on loan, they were made to be used and make love known, a fruit of a seed once long ago sown... and though the sojourner carries on as the wind is blown, she knows that she's never ever ever alone.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Beef!
Much more faith in B&N than that!

I will tell you what!
Do not encounter a Candace with a Beef. It is not pretty at all.
Basically, I found that Barnes & Noble's customer service is in need of great reformation and maybe a little more enthusiasm?
When I go to the book store all I want is to be greated with a friendly "hello hello" darn it!
Sometimes that is the sole purpose of my visit. Observing the quarky people and exchanging conversation with the staff.
Is that too much to ask?
I think not.
So maybe it was that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Was I not meeting the people half way? The efforts on my part were definitely there. Sure, the depths of my being were feelin' sorta crabby, but there was a weak smile on the other end. That's gotta count for something!
And doesn't that just break your heart though? When you can tell someone is trying but they just can't seem to break through their inward resistence, whatever that may be. Well, that's how I felt, especially after searching and searching for this particular autobiography that I had gotten interested in the day before.
The title caught my attention, A Language Older Than Words. I picked it up also because there was this cool image on the cover: a man's hands raising a bird's nest to the opening heavens, the clouds breaking forth, light reaching out and an ascending unhatched birdling. I didn't ponder all the implications of that illustration- I just thought it looked cool. Anyhow, the book was interesting- by Derrick Jensen, an environmentalist speaking on community, family, and nature. 3 issues of which, definitely tug on me heart strings. So I'm into it!
But darn it where the heck is this thing!
Customer Service Counter: She's not into helping me.
Gram! Please, can I just take control of that there mouse and have a looksie?!
~No now I wasn't going to be rude, but she was sooo slow and distracted by her own personal thoughts. great.
I resolved myself to the fact that I wasn't supposed to read about the language older than words that day.
Fine, fine, I'll just pick up something else, it's not like there aren't any other good books among these thousands! Annnnd what else? coffee of course! YAyyy! This stuff is so powerful it's like lip numbing.
So here we go, 2nd staff encounter: "Hello sir may I have a small regular house coffee please?" He just looks at me, "what."
~"um, a small regular house."
A nod, pause, and turn and back to me, "would you like room for cream with that ma'am?" Yesterday, I was taken aback when the attendent asked me if i wanted whipped cream with that. NO WAY! whipped cream? in your coffee? Preposterous! So this is to what I thought he was referring. "Oh no, I don't take "cream" (whipped cream), thanks.... ... ... ...oh buut I will need room for milk! :)" (That always sucks when you can't to fit all the extra goodies in. I'm always overdoing it and then sipping it down, and then filling it up and sipping. ha. it's a homorous situation because you know people are watching and giving a chuckle.)
Anyway! What was this dude's reply? Ah!
"THAT IS CREAM MA'AM!" ~said with a bit of a snarl?!
Well! I never! He was pushin' it.
"oh, okay. sorry. i didn't know that's what you meant." geewiz. these people. what does it take? maybe a little pep-talk before they go on duty would be helpful.
I'm not sure who was at fault for the beef that day, but I'm definitely writting a letter to the CEO on this... i want to see changes. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home